Thursday, May 22, 2008

The First Week Home

Well we have survived the first week with Emmabelle in our home. Things are going really well actually. Dave and I are taking turns getting up with her at night and that has made all the difference I think. We each get a little more sleep that way. We go to bed between 9 and 10, she wakes up between 12 and 1 and then again around 5. Most the time she will go right back to sleep but occasionally it will take a couple of hours to get her back to sleep. Those are the hard nights. She is eating very well. Dave and I both think we are going to have a chunky baby on our hands. We went to her newborn checkup on Monday and she has gained back her birth weight plus five more ounces. That is right she is now 7lbs 7oz.

Avery is adjusting pretty well. She lets us know when she isn't getting enough attention though. The hard part is that it is usually when Dave has just started holding Emmabelle or I am getting ready to feed her. Avery just doesn't want those things to happen. We work it out though. Most the time it results in Avery getting upset and deciding that she needs to go to her room and go night night. Yes that is correct she sends herself to her room. When her feelings get hurt or she gets upset she tells me she wants to go night night and I take her back to her bed. She stays in there for a few minutes until she calms down and then calls me to come and get her. At least I don't have to hear the whining and crying.

Yesterday morning she asked to hold Emmabelle which was something new. She did hold her in the hospital, but it was the first time she had actually asked to hold her. Both girls did really well. She actually held her for about 10 mins. I was very surprised. She wouldn't even let me help her so I had to prop Emmabelle up on a pillow and she just laid there while Avery held her. It was very cute. It is times like this when I know that Avery really does love her little sister, even if it is hard for her to share the attention. Here are some pictures I got of them together.


Here is a picture of the proud Daddy. He just loves both of his girls so much. I am so lucky to have such a good husband who is such an amazing Dad.

1 comment:

Bec said...

Soooo cute. It's strange enough for me to think of how much we love our babies even when they're so little. It's even strangER for me to think of them loving one another! Wow. Such big hearts in such tiny bodies.

The pictures are wonderful, and I'm so glad you finally found your prince charming. It's good to see you so happy.