Monday, February 23, 2009

Weekend Events

This was the first weekend in quite a while where we were just able to stay home and be together as a family. It was really nice. Dave wasn't working or off scouting, and the girls and I had nothing pressing to do.

Saturday Dave spent most of the day getting the garden started. He was finally able to till it after having my parents tiller for months now. Sorry about that. He also got the manuer spread and tilled also. The only drawback from this was that both my husband and my darling two year old smelled like stinky cow. It was so disgusting. I just hate that smell. Avery had a blast though. Dave was also very excited . He has been dying to have the time to work in the garden. Our biggest goal is to become a little more self sufficient. I am really excited to be able to learn how to can. We have decided to have a massive garden with everything imaginable in it.

I was able to attend our Stake Women's Conference on Saturday. I really enjoyed it. The theme was centered on a quote by President Kimball, "If we follow in the Savior's footsteps, we can live by faith rather than fear. If we can share his perspective about people, we can love them, serve them, and reach ou to them." The first presentation was given by a woman who recently went on a tour of Egypt and Isreal. She was able to visit Bethlehem, Jerusalem, and all those neat places where Christ spent his life on this earth. Some of the things that she told us made me very grateful to live in the US. She said that they pay 8 dollars a gallon for gas, and the taxes for vehicles were at 100% so a $20,000.00 car actually came out to $40,000.00. I know we are in a hard spot right now but thank goodness it isn't that bad. I am not sure of the lady's name who gave one of the talks, but I really enjoyed it. She spoke on how we can adopt Christ's example into our lives. I really wish I was better at remember quotes and things like that because she really had a lot of good points that she brought across. She really stress the importance of not judging other. You never know what someone's situation might be. You don't know what circumstances occured to put them in the position they are in so you have no basis to really judge anyone. This really hit home to me. I know that a lot of times I am guilty of split second judgement and I think now I will try to think twice. Another speaker I really enjoyed was our Stake President. President Harrington is such an amazing man. I always enjoy listening to his words of wisdom. He centered his thoughts on living by faith rather than fear. The point he made that hit home for me was when he started talking about the little things. He basically said that how can we expect the Lord to ask amazing things of us if we can't even accomplish the little things he asks of us. It all starts with daily prayer, scripture study, church attendance, and all those things that are suppose to be second nature to us. It was a very good day.

Sunday we were able to feed the missionaries. It almost ended up being a disaster. The roast was to big and didn't cook fast enough, so last minute we had to change what we were having and ended up serving them hamburgers. Avery was so excited when I told her the missionaries were coming. She came running down the hall telling me that the "airymissions" are coming to my house. It was the cutest. Then when they got here she pretended to be all shy and wouldn't even talk to them.

Emmabelle is getting very good at walking. She walks more than she crawls anymore. It amazes me how fast she is picking it up. She will find somewhere she can stand up, walk as far as she can and then crawls back to stand up and starts all over. She is even walking around outside. It won't be long before she is a pro.

All in all the weekend was very enjoyable. Hope yours was a great one to.

No comments: